Friday, December 7, 2007

Decorating the Workplace : PART I

I was listening to music at my desk when I heard a noise from behind... I heard it a few times but ignored it until I saw others waving hands towards me… I pulled my earphones out and turned my chair towards the source of the sound… It was my Manager... I responded hastily with a “oops sorry” in my mouth.

He gave me a “come on” signal with his hands and his eyes were pointing to Pound, the discussion room. [In the office building rooms are named based on Currencies].

I saw a few other folks locking their desktops and heading towards Pound. For sure I knew its totally unofficial.. They never call me for an official meeting like tat…

Every one were IN. By that time everyone knew what the whole meeting was for!

“DECORATING THE WORK PLACE !!!!”

A floor wise competition, where the associates decorated their work place based on a theme. This was just to start off the Festive season ahead: The Christmas and the New Year.

All were seated. I preferred to stand [ cos ther was no chair to sit ], My manager came in and he knew the suspense was out.

For the next few minutes we stormed our brains to come into a common conclusion regarding the THEME that should be portrayed. Last time, we were awarded for the best theme put up “Global Warming”.

I still remember the Sweat I shed, preparing paintings, drawings and those spent on decorating the walls of my office floor, which I was familiar for less than 3 months... I had a tough decisions to make on those days… whether to choose project work or decoration work.. My mentor used to call me on phone and ask me to concentrate on production issues than these crap…

But I liked these CRAPS.. It reminds me of my college days when we stay late during pre programme nights.. to decorate the stage and the campus, to give all the guys n gals a big surprise the next day when they stepped into the campus.. It had in it, the thrill, those unexplainable richness in it.. as we all were doing together things that gave us happiness and a success feeling that is not possible to express with words.. Those days were gone in the foggy midst of time that had past…..

Though the pain I put in the last time gave me more pain ( reasons not to be disclosed, but well that happens at times )

Now I am looking forward to deliver my best in the upcoming competition…

By the time all these thoughts flashed through my mind, we were out with our final THEME! But not to be disclosed to anyone other than those who were present in Pound.. My manager cleared the white board where we penned our ideas so that the ideas doesn’t leak…

Meanwhile someone gave an idea to write some vague topics on the white board so as to mislead and confuse people from the other floors, who might come for some meeting to Pound and get a chance to see these ‘Camouflage Topics’ that has secured the invisible and invincible ideas penned by storming our already stormed brains… [ and the worse part is that, this idea was given by me ;-) ]

No comments: